And he can lift heavy things

by Fiddledeedee on March 10, 2013

After living without the washing machine for a little over 2 weeks, I can admit that I have yet to walk by it now without throwing myself across the lid and giving it a little hug.  It’s the little things that we appreciate.

I did have a moment of panic last week when I was throwing away all the boxes and trash from the work that the repair man did on the machine.  There was one box with what looked like a brand new part in it, carefully packed with plastic and styrofoam.  And it looked like an awfully important part of the machine.  I wondered if perhaps our repairman had forgotten to replace it.  Visions of a floor full of soap and water came flooding back.  I called G.E. and the nice lady responded with a helpful, “Well, maybe he didn’t need it.”  I put on my best pleasant southern phone voice and offered, “Since we’re about to redo the floor AFTER THE G.E. WASHING MACHINE FLOODED IT, I’d prefer to know for certain.  Thank yeeew.”  She set up an appointment for the technician to come out and take a look-see.  On the appointed day, the technician in question phoned and assured me that he did replace the part, but wrapped it carefully into the new part’s box to avoid getting grease all over my nice cheap linoleum.

I unwrapped the part myself to inspect, and got grease all over my hands.

Sometimes the only way I learn a lesson is the hard way.

Anyhoo.  While he was here, actually repairing the washing machine, he noticed my dryer.  And the spring loaded pliers protruding from where the knob ought to be.  He asked me about it, and I explained that while it was under warranty, I had the repair people out twice, and they simply replaced the plastic knob.  Which of course broke off yet again after the warranty had expired.  The G.E. repairman told me what I already knew, the timing mechanism was frozen and that’s why the knob kept breaking off.  They should have replaced the timing mechanism.

He also went on to tell me that we could probably fix it ourselves far more cheaply than having it repaired.

I had resigned myself to the fact that I was going to have to save up the pennies to replace the whole darn thing, since it wouldn’t turn off by itself any longer and I feared the house would be set ablaze during a cycle of whites.

And I believe we’ve reached our quotient of disasters with the insurance people at this point.

So Fiddledaddy went online and did a little research, finding a website where he was able to look up the actual dryer by the model number to find a replacement part.  Then he found a you tube video on how to do it.

He ordered the part to the tune of about $35.00.  When I returned from errands one day this week, he brought me to the laundry room, telling me that he had gotten me a surprise.  Since we were in the laundry room, which leads to the garage, I was totally expecting….A. NEW. CAR!!!  Not really, I was thinking he had stashed some Thin Mints in the garage freezer. He knows my love language.

Because I’m nothing if not dense, he prodded me by saying that if it was a snake, it would bite me.  I had my hand on the dryer looking around.  Keep in mind, I can fit myself and a box of Saltines in the space of my laundry room.  Finally.  FINALLY.  I noticed.  WHERE ARE MY PLIERS?  You know, the ones used to wrangle the dryer into the permanent ON position.

The man had fixed my dryer, even giving me a brand new knob.

I no longer fear burning the house to the ground.  No.  That’s not entirely true.  I still have 3 children who are my wild cards.

But I now have been found draping myself across both the washer, dryer, AND my handy husband, giving them all a hug in thanksgiving.

It is the little things that bring me the most joy.

DeeDeeSig

1 Brooke March 10, 2013 at 11:58 pm

A handy hubby is truly a HUGE blessing! (I’ve got one too!) ;)

2 Angie P March 11, 2013 at 12:10 am

I love that website! I recently fixed the baking element myself thanks to the videos on their site.

3 Lulu March 11, 2013 at 4:29 am

After many years of shared laundry space, dingy damp moldy rooms, quarters, humping laundry up and down and finding your clean clothes dumped uncerimoniously on a dirty floor – I love having my own washer and dryer. It has been 20 years – but those bad memories haven’t left. Both my machines are second hand – but I think they are marvelous. You are blessed to have a fellow who fixes things – mine only thinks he can and that is very dangerous – for our wee home and our marriage!! Ha.

4 Lynn Marie March 11, 2013 at 6:48 am

What a nice surprise, well done hubby!

5 Tara March 11, 2013 at 9:55 am

I fixed my dryer on youtube, too! :) It needed a new thermostat or some thing. Googled it, youtubed it, went to the wonderful awesome small privately owned appliance store here and bought the part. Mine was around $35, too. Must just be what they charge for dryer parts. :)

6 Jill March 11, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Oh my goodness, that right there would have been worth, like, 50 husband points. I hope you were *all over* that man as much as you were all over your dryer! ;-)

That is my love language. Fix my dryer. Vacuum my car. Dare I say…fix those broken tiles in my kitchen? Hire someone even?

I have to stop. I’m getting all hot and bothered…. ;-)

7 Sarah at 32Flavors March 11, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Youtube is the most awesome thing ever! I actually replaced some dryer parts a few months ago myself with a handy youtube instruction video going on the iPad right next to me. It was also $35 instead of a new dryer. My husband was going to do it the next day, but I am not a patient person.

8 Destiny March 11, 2013 at 7:52 pm

There is a book in you. This is more proof!

9 Tara March 12, 2013 at 8:38 am

Sarah @ 32 Flavors, I guess if we are going to do any more dryer repairs we should budget $35!

10 Tom March 14, 2013 at 2:28 pm

We had a Maytag front-loading washing machine that used something called a “wax motor” to seal the door. When it failed and flooded the laundry room, the repair service basically told us “tough luck” – even though the thing was under warranty.

Youtube (and other internets) did the trick for me. I was able to purchase a $2.00 transistor and replace it on the circuit board, and that solved the wax motor issue.

The thing worked just fine for another five months, and then the water pump fried.

We now have a Whirlpool washer.

I hate plumbing.

11 Fiddledeedee March 14, 2013 at 9:47 pm

This is why we have our plumber’s phone number on speed dial. Right after Carrabbas. And poison control… :)