Sister Immaculata

by Fiddledeedee on January 2, 2013

I wanted to thank you all for your sweet prayers for my mother-in-law.  She is still hospitalized, and is growing weaker by the day.  We’re all waiting anxiously for a couple of biopsies to come back.  But what with the weekend and subsequent New Years holiday, time seems to come to a standstill at the hospital.

We’re hearing the term C A N C E R bantered about by the health professionals, but we are instead choosing to stick our fingers into our ears and holding onto the hope of a miracle.

I’ve had the blessing of being among those family members who have been able to stay at the hospital over the last number of days caring for Natalie.  We’ve been trying to take shifts so that she always has a family member by her bedside from early morning until the last seconds of visiting hours.

I was in the hospital room on New Years Eve when Natalie received a visit from Sister Immaculata, a tiny Irish nun from my mother-in-law’s parish.  The family has known her for years.  After a sweet prayer and blessing, the Sister administered communion to my mother and father-in-law.  She then asked each of us in the room if we’d like to be anointed with oil from Lazarus’ tomb, and we jumped on that.  You just can’t go wrong with Lazarus on your side.

Please understand, this is a family with a wonderfully warped sense of humor, which is why it was a match made in heaven when I caught the bouquet at my sister-in-law’s wedding way before Fiddledaddy and I were even engaged.  It should be noted that Natalie insisted I be included in the family picture, so Fiddledaddy had no choice but to marry me.

Then the Sister began with the story telling.  She noticed a poster of Michael the Archangel that one of my sisters-in-law taped up onto the wall beside Natalie’s bed.  This reminded Sister Immaculata  that one of her former kindergarten students had grown up to become a Chippendale dancer.  He thought so much of Sister Immaculata that he sent her one of his beefcake posters with a personal inscription to her.  As she described the picture to us, she added that it did very little to cover his credentials. And from what she could tell, he had some major credentials.   She then placed the picture into a poster frame.  On one side was her former student.  However, when the Mother Superior was expected for a visit, the poster was turned around to display a dignified picture of the Pope.

Some years went by and the poster was stored in a cylinder.  Sister Immaculata was clearing out some things, aided by other Sisters.  Those Sisters discovered the poster, with the inscription: To Sister Immaculata, who inspired me every day.

Needless to say, the Sister has a rep.

The visit was a breath of fresh air, and I soaked up other Sister Immaculata stories after she left.  If I ever write a book, I think she will be my subject.

This afternoon I was at the hospital.  Because timing is everything, all the other family members had left and I was alone with Natalie.  Just then one of her doctors made an appearance to report that the test results were not yet back.  He beckoned me to the hallway, wherein he wanted to prepare me that the situation did not look good.  He felt strongly that we are dealing with cancer, and in Natalie’s weakened condition, it likely would not be treatable.

I could feel the blood drain from my face and I stared at the floor.  All the well phrased questions and thoughts that were written in our Nana Notebook completely left me.  I was catapulted back to my own mother’s hospital room 14 years ago when her doctor asked me to step out into the hall, so that he could tell me that my mother was dying of cancer.

I think from now on if any doctor asks me to step out into the hall, I’m just going to say no thank you.

I gathered my wits about me, and walked over to the door leading to my mother-in-law’s hospital room, and pointed to a picture of her that I taped up just moments before.  I said, “This is Natalie.  This is what Natalie looked like just a few weeks ago.  Her eyes are shining and her smile lights up a room.  Right up until Thanksgiving, she has been delivering meals-on-wheels to people much younger than herself.  We will not give up hope.  We want her back.”

He stared at the picture of this woman who looked far different from the frail woman lying in the hospital bed fighting for her life. Then he quietly said, “I didn’t know that. I will be optimistic as well.”  With that he shook my hand and walked down the hall.

I went back over and sat beside Natalie who was deeply sleeping.  I reached over to her bedside table and picked up her well worn rosary beads.  For the first time in 45 years, I prayed the rosary.  I held each bead in my hand, and every word came back to me as if no time had passed.  It brought me great peace.  I finally had an understanding of the purpose of the rosary that I’ve never had before.

I don’t know what tomorrows test results will bring.  Until she draws her last breath, we will be holding onto the hope of a miracle.  But I rest in the comfort and firm knowledge that Natalie will one day, in His timing, wake up in the glorious presence of Jesus.

And Heaven will be a whole lot more beautiful.

DeeDeeSig

1 Karen January 2, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Beautifully written. Our prayers continue to be with you and your family.

And PS – We go to that same church and LOVE Sister Immaculata! She’s a hoot!

2 Michelle January 2, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Oh, DeeDee, that was a lovely post. I was in tears. We have continued to pray for your MIL. Please let us know if you need us in anyway… I am due to repay the favor of babysitting. ANYTHING you need!

3 Marcy K. January 2, 2013 at 11:11 pm

I will be praying for her and for your family. Take comfort in the knowledge that God’s will is perfect.

4 Mary January 2, 2013 at 11:17 pm

This is a beautiful post, DeeDee. I’ve been checking back to see how your family is doing. I will keep you in my prayers. P.S. That sister is a riot! I would love to meet her.

5 TallyMichelle January 2, 2013 at 11:55 pm

prayers ascending…

6 Julie From Inmates January 3, 2013 at 12:22 am

Oh Dee Dee, We are facing the same news with my granny. A routine annual check-up resulted in her being taken straight to the ER with congestive heart failure, which led to chest x-rays which led the Dr’s to find swollen lymph nodes, which led to a biopsy, which led to a cancer diagnosis. They implanted the port for chemo today and she will get her first treatment on Jan. 7th. I hate seeing her go through this. As I pray for my granny, I pray for your mother in law, too. Cancer sucks!

7 Mike Chapman January 3, 2013 at 2:14 am

Praying!

8 Joanna January 3, 2013 at 2:25 am

Been praying for your whole family. Hard to go through that but seems extra hard through the holidays. Will continue to pray!

9 Wendy Darling January 3, 2013 at 6:36 am

What an amazingly, beautiful post Dee Dee. I am continuing to pray for a miracle. And, if God should choose to heal her by taking her home then we will praise Him for you/with you.

PS; Sister Immaculata sounds great. :-) If you ever write that book I want to read it. :-)

10 Bethany January 3, 2013 at 7:38 am

Praying for you and your family this morning.

11 jen January 3, 2013 at 8:54 am

praying

12 Jill January 3, 2013 at 9:13 am

My prayers are with you and your family.

13 Rhonda January 3, 2013 at 10:08 am

My heart goes out to you – went through this is 2011 with my MIL.

Many a time I have spent hours by the bedside in a hospital of a loved one, including my husband. (he is healthy and doing well) There are folks who stop in to visit that would bring me down further into a pit of despair, and then there are others who were like a ray of sunshine, filled with optimism. They made you smile. Like your Sister Immaculata. They are sometimes the least likely person. So I try to remember this when I visit an ill person in the hospital. To comfort their loved ones too, who are holding a vigil. May the Lord be with your family and give you peace during this most difficult time.

14 Deana January 3, 2013 at 10:10 am

What a beautiful post, by a beautiful woman, about beautiful women! Call me if you or Trish need help with the kids. Love you both.

15 Stacey January 3, 2013 at 11:43 am

Praying for Natalie my wonderful friend. This was beautifully written. I am so proud of you and the stand you are taking for her miracle and your talk with the doctor. I am believing with you. Please know we would love to help in any way. I am happy to bring a meal or watch the kids. Love you all.

16 Marsha January 3, 2013 at 12:03 pm

That was beautifully written, my friend. I will be praying…

17 Melissa Austin January 3, 2013 at 12:34 pm

This was beautiful and touching. I wish I could be there to help in some way, but I will pray… Love you guys!

18 Nancy Carr January 3, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Peace, health and blessings to you and your family. Thank you for the wonderful Sister Immaculate story.

19 Teresa January 3, 2013 at 2:32 pm

God bless you and your sweet family. Prayers….

20 Char January 3, 2013 at 3:28 pm

What a great idea to stick up the photo of her as a reference & reminder! We are still praying & will continue to pray daily for her. Keep trusting!

21 Carol January 3, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Since I was a child my family attended a catholic church. It was only in my late teens and early twenties that I started to attend a non-denominational church, and have subsequently gone on missions trips. For years and years I could never understand the meaning or usefulness of the rosary, repetitive prayer, and rituals. Lately my husband and I have been thinking about going to our local catholic church on a weekly basis because of our current disillusionment with church over the last 10 years or so. Having said that, what you said in your post makes complete sense. The rosary, repetitive prayer and ritual is all a part of worship. I had never viewed it like that before – so thank you for your eloquent post here. It was beautifully written.

My prayers are with your family and your sweet mother-in-law.

22 Destiny January 3, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Miss Natalie is blessed to be so deeply and dearly loved.

I’m going to replicate your idea of putting up a recent picture and note the next time someone I love is in this situation, because one can only hope that they would be lobbied for so hard…

Praying peace, the peace that passeth all understanding, for you and your family during this season.

23 Janice January 3, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Miracles do happen as I live with my “Lazarus”. Glory to God.