Meanwhile, at the McDonald’s Counter

by Fiddledeedee on February 28, 2011

I hit a rather exciting milestone this weekend while hiking down my long road to recovery from chronic Lyme Disease.  On Saturday morning I headed to Wal-Mart for the gathering of the groceries.  What set this week apart from any other, was that I did not wear my leg brace.  And purposely left my handicapped parking decal at home.

I’m most certain that I had a spring in my step.  Which is decidedly limp-free much of the time.  Before I began, I thought I would swing by McDonald’s to rustle up a coffee before beginning.

I stepped up to the counter, and a young, hip, early 20-something year old girl waited on me.

Me:  “I’ll have a small coffee, please.”

Her:  “That’ll be 64 cents.”

Me:  “Really?” (trying to hide my excitement)  “Is it a sale?”

Her:  “No, a senior coffee.”

(Insert sound of phonograph needle ripping across an LP.)

Me:  “Excuse me?”

Her:  (raising her voice)  “IT’S A SENIOR COFFEE.”

Blink, blink.

The frugal side of me fought with the prideful side of me that just wanted to yell at her, JUST CHARGE ME THE REGULAR PRICE!  AND BTW, I HAVE UNDERWEAR THAT ARE OLDER THAN YOU ARE.

Me:  “Okay, I’m just curious, at what age does one earn the title of ‘senior’ at McDonald’s?”

Her:  “50.”

And with that she handed me change for a dollar.

I was ALMOST as incensed as the two years following Jensen’s birth when I was continually asked when the baby was due.

At least then the person (usually a woman) recognized that I was CHILD BEARING AGE.

I gathered up what remained of my dignity, filed my change in my coin purse, and clutched my senior coffee as I continued on my feeble way.

I am determined to use this to my frugal advantage.  I understand that Kohl’s offers a senior discount at age 50.  What are some other senior offers that I can look forward to in my waning years?

1 chris February 28, 2011 at 6:36 am

hmm Im betting you would have loved the same age hike when you were 15 though.

2 Kris Hurford February 28, 2011 at 7:21 am

I wouldn’t worry too much. My boyfriend’s daughter works at McDonalds and she says they give the senior coffee to anyone. :-) They are the same as a small coffee except cheaper. no reflection on your age!

3 Hannah February 28, 2011 at 8:18 am

My aunt is older than my mom, and she was visiting us just a few weeks after she turned 50. She was telling my mom how great it was that even though she was still young, she was able to ask for all kinds of senior discounts. She and my mom went shopping, and she was showing my mom how all she had to do was ask for the discount and she got it.

They finally went to one more place, and she asked for the senior discount like she had been doing at the other places. The girl behind the counter looked at her and said, “Oh, I already gave it to you.” Apparently it’s not as fun if you don’t have to ask for it. My mom never let her live it down.

4 Brooke February 28, 2011 at 8:19 am

Well, I was tickled when hubby reached the big 50 and we could get free checking at our bank! :)

5 Denise February 28, 2011 at 8:31 am

First of all I am just so HAPPY you are doing so much better! Fabulous… and to think without all those walking assitancers you got a Senior Momment… There deffinately is a generation gap… You just keep getting better!!!! :-)

6 Kayla February 28, 2011 at 10:37 am

TJMaxx has senior discounts on Tuesdays, I think. Also, Kohl’s has them. Not sure of the day, though. I think I would love to have a leg brace and an excuse to drive that little motorized cart through Wal-Mart. I get tired just thinking about going there! Glad you are doing so much better!

7 Lynn Maire February 28, 2011 at 10:40 am

So glad you got the discount! I love it when I get a senior discount and Yes I am over 50 but not 60 YET! Get all you can girl! Way to funny today and I needed that since we are getting freezing rain right now.

8 Connie February 28, 2011 at 11:01 am

Hilarious! Especially the needle ripping across the LP! I will have to tell my hubby about the senior discount since he is eligible. I wonder if they give a senior discount for anything else? I am only two years away so I need to find these things out to take advantage of them when the time comes.
Meanwhile, I am thankful that you felt well enough to dispense with the leg brace and the handicap sticker. I hope you will be able to get rid of them for good soon.

9 Vida February 28, 2011 at 11:49 am

I, personally am looking forward to cheaper movie tickets… maybe then I will be able to afford to go to the movies!

10 Beverly February 28, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Woooo! Wonder if you can get a discount at DisneyWorld? LOL

I often get mistaken as being older than I am, too. When I’m out w/my sisters (one older than me by 6 years, one younger than me by 8 years) I am inevitably assumed as the oldest of the three of us. It really chaps my hide, too! Oh well…. just assumed they are basing their judgement on our wisdom instead of appearance. Right?

11 Kelly February 28, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I’m pretty sure KFC and Hardees have senior discounts, for which I will be eligible in 19 short months. Funny how I know about the EATING JOINTS ONLY! Oh, and Belk! There! A Clothing store!

12 Nancy February 28, 2011 at 7:43 pm

OH, its not so bad and just think of all the savings you can get with the “senior discounts” try some of the early bird specials in the restaurants. I’ve been getting senior discounts for years but its not really so bad. Time marches on for all of us.

13 Jules February 28, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I am laughing so hard I can barely breathe.

14 Jules February 28, 2011 at 10:52 pm

You ARE older than me, right?